Maitland's Season of Light Celebration
The Maitland police will be escorting Santa through the city’s streets on Dec. 17. For more details and times in your neighborhood, visit www.itsmymaitland.com
The city of Maitland invites you to spend a spectacular evening in beautiful Lake Lily Park to usher in the Holiday Season at the annual Season of Light event. Scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. Dec. 3, the event will present various musical groups from Maitland Middle School as well as performers from the Colby Center for Dance. This festive program will set the stage as one and all anticipate the arrival of a very special guest from the North Pole.
This Maitland holiday tradition will feature Maitland Vice Mayor Linda Frosh and our special guest as they transform Lake Lily Park with thousands of lights and holiday figures that spring to ‘light’ on cue and are accompanied by the lighting of the centerpiece of the Season of Light celebration, a lighted holiday tree that floats in the center of Lake Lily.
• During the Holiday Season, we want to invite you to visit the Maitland Market each Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the shores of Lake Lily Park (The market will be closed on Dec. 25).
• For a special treat, on Wednesdays from 6 to 9 p.m., stop by the Food Truck Café in Lake Lily Park for spectacular culinary surprises from some of Central Florida’s most accomplished chefs.
• Also coming in December is Santa's Parade sponsored by the Maitland Police Department. Traveling through the neighborhoods of Maitland this appearance by Santa is sure to delight everyone who is young at heart. Santa's Parade will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Dec. 17.
The city of Maitland will be observing holidays in December on the 23rd and 26th, and on Jan. 2. City offices will be closed on these dates.
—Chuck Jordan, Director, Leisure Services Department
Maitland City Council Meeting of Nov. 28
The Maitland City Council met on Nov. 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chambers. Below is a synopsis of that meeting. The next regular scheduled Council meeting will be held on Monday, Dec. 12. For updates, please check our website www.itsmymaitland.com
Presented a Retirement Resolution to Lieutenant Jonni Schardine acknowledging her 25 years of faithful and devoted service as a member of the Maitland Police Department from Oct. 2, 1986 until Oct. 2, 2011.
• The Council minutes of Nov. 14 were approved as presented as well as various Advisory Board minutes.
• Passed a Resolution designating the places of polling, opening and closing of polls, and the form of the ballot for the General Municipal Election to be held on Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2012.
• Passed a Resolution to convey right-of-way to the Florida Department of Transportation in conjunction with the construction of the Maitland SunRail Station.
• Authorized the mayor to sign 12 City Deeds and Resolutions to convey various rights-of-way to the Florida Department of Transportation for use in conjunction with Interstate 4 reconstruction.
• Introduced an ordinance readopting City Code Chapter 6 “Fire Protection and Prevention,” and set the Public Hearing date as Dec. 12. The proposed modifications provide for readopting and maintaining the local fire prevention ordinance as required by state law.