Orlando Tennis Academy’s Ekram Aouita had a tournament to remember Saturday, Aug. 24, as she won the USTA Level 8 Orange Ball Under 10 Singles Tournament that was held at the USTA National Campus.
1. It was a big weekend for the Windermere boys golf team Saturday, Aug. 24, as the Wolverines edged out Winter Park by three strokes to claim first place in the Wolverine Invitational at Orange County National – Panther Lake. On the links the Wolverines were led by Cooper Tate’s second-place finish (69, 71; 140 total), followed by Logan Jerrells, who finished tied for third place (72, 71; 143 total).
2. Orlando Tennis Academy’s Ekram Aouita had a tournament to remember Saturday, Aug. 24, as she won the USTA Level 8 Orange Ball Under 10 Singles Tournament that was held at the USTA National Campus. The win is made even more impressive by the fact that it was the first tournament Aouita had ever competed in.
3. The Windermere boys track and field team dominated the competition at the Jim Ryun Invitational at Lakeland Christian School Saturday, Aug. 24. The Wolverines’ first-place finish saw five runners finish in the top 15. Windermere was led by the third- and fourth-place finishes of Onix Ortiz (16:59.80) and Liam Pirie (17:03.80). Noah Siegel (17:18.00; sixth place), Noah Ellenback (17:35.10; 13th place) and Haile Buck (17:38.70; 14th place) all finished top-15.
4. In Windermere Prep’s tough 3-1 loss at the hands of Lake Nona in their season opener Thursday, Aug. 22, Julia Oliveira Bernardes still had a good showing as the senior picked up eight kills, three digs and two blocks for the Lakers (0-1).
5. In Olympia volleyball’s strong showing in its season-opening 3-0 victory over Evans Thursday, Aug. 22, multiple Titans had impressive games. Emma McElveen recorded seven kills, 11 assists and three aces, while teammate Emma Colyer tacked on five kills, five aces and six assists for the Titans.