Catch the State of the City Address online
State of the City Address online
Mayor Ken Bradley presented his annual and final State of the City Address on Jan. 16 at the city and Winter Park Chamber of Commerce’s City Commission Luncheon held at the Alfond Inn at Rollins. For those that were unable to attend, you can read Mayor Bradley’s speech at cityofwinterpark.org > Government > City Info > State of the City Addresses.
Jan. 26 City Commission meeting
There will be a City Commission meeting Monday, Jan. 26, at 3:30 p.m. in City Hall Commission Chambers located at 401 S. Park Ave. For the most up-to-date agenda, please visit cityofwinterpark.org under What’s New. Below are a few topics of interest:
• Business Recognition Award recipient – Gary Lambert Salon
• Holiday Window Contest winners:
Design excellence: Breakaway Bicycles
People’s choice: Taylor’s Pharmacy
• Proclamation – Bach Festival Society’s 80th anniversary
• Presentation – Core Value Coin recipients for July through December 2014
• Award of Accreditation – Fire-Rescue for the Accreditation of Ambulances Services (CAAS)
City Manager’s Report
• Performance Measurement Report
• Approve the minutes for Jan. 12, 2015.
• Approve contracts and formal solicitation (for a complete list, please visit cityofwinterpark.org/ccpackets.)
Action Items Requiring Discussion
• Review and approval of the Request for Proposals (RFP) to select a consultant to lead the city visioning process.
• Continued discussion of the potential acquisition of the USPS property.
• Request of Mr. Joseph Passalacqua:
- Approval of a lot consolidation to combine the two properties at 1251 and 1252 Lakeview Drive as one property, thereby permitting 1251 Lakeview Drive to be used for the principal single-family residence, and to allow 1252 Lakeview Drive to be used for other accessory structures as permitted by code, subject to limitations as may be made as part of this request.
• First reading of the ordinance amending portions of Chapter 102, Utilities, Article IV, Sewers and Sewage Disposal, as well as creating the Grease Management Ordinance.
• Resolution – Adopting the Title VI/Non-Discrimination Policy and Plan.
• Resolution – Executing a Local Agency Program Agreement with the Florida Department of Transportation for the design of the St. Andrews Trail from Cady Way to Aloma Avenue.
• Resolution – Executing a Local Agency Program Agreement with the Florida Department of Transportation for the construction of the Brookshire Elementary School sidewalks at multiple locations.
• This public hearing must be held after 5 p.m.:
• Request of the Avis Budget Group Inc.:
Second reading of the ordinance amending Chapter 58, Land Development Code, Article III, Zoning, Section 58-74 Commercial District to provide for car rental agencies as a conditional use within that C-1 Commercial zoning district.
Conditional use approval to locate a car rental agency at 501 N. Orlando Ave.
Remember, if you are unable to attend City Commission meetings, you can watch them live, gavel-to-gavel as they happen. During the meeting, simply log on to cityofwinterpark.org/cclive to easily stay tuned-in to official city business.
City advances as semifinalist in $5 million energy prize
Georgetown University announced today that the city of Winter Park has officially advanced to the semifinal round of the Georgetown University Energy Prize (GUEP), a national competition that is challenging communities across the U.S. to rethink their energy use. At a press event in Washington, D.C., Winter Park was announced as one of just 50 communities across the nation who are leading the way on energy-efficiency. The $5 million prize competition challenges small- to medium-size towns, cities, and counties to rethink their energy use, and implement creative strategies to increase efficiency. To compete for the prize, local governments, residents, utilities and others will need to work together to demonstrate success in sustainably reducing energy consumption over a two-year period.
Our vision is to be the best place to live, work and play in Florida for today’s residents and future generations. We are the only city in Florida to advance to this stage of the competition. Our participation is an innovative opportunity to support our vision, as well as an exciting and potentially profitable approach to implementing energy-efficiency objectives set by our Sustainability Action Plan.
Winter Park will promote current energy-conservation programs for both municipal and residential sectors and expand upon them during the course of the competition. Utility customers are encouraged to participate now by taking action and requesting a Home Energy Audit. Those interested in taking this first step required to reduce consumption and take advantage of rebates for home upgrades can email [email protected] or call 407-599-3220 to get started.
To learn more about the GUEP and to track the competition’s progress, please visit guep.org, or follow the prize on Twitter or Facebook.
Seasons 52 Park Avenue 5K
On Saturday, Jan. 24, at 7:30 a.m. get a healthy start to the New Year by participating in the fourth race of the Track Shack Running Series. Seasons 52 Fresh Grill and Wine Bar celebrates the enjoyment of living a fit and healthy lifestyle by sponsoring this race through beautiful Winter Park! Please plan to arrive 45 minutes early due to road closures and traffic congestion. For more information, please visit trackshack.com
A Valentine concert in Central Park
On Sunday, Feb. 8, the Park Avenue Merchants Association will host “The Sweetest Sounds: A Valentine Concert in Central Park.” From 4 to 6:30 p.m., attendees will be able to enjoy an afternoon of music and romance. In honor of the Bach Festival Society’s 80th annual Bach Festival, members of the Bach Festival Choir will join Michael Andrew and Swingerhead for a first-of-its-kind performance.
Attendees are encouraged to bring a picnic basket, spread a blanket and enjoy these sweet sounds with your sweetheart at this free event. For additional information, please contact visit experienceparkavenue.com or call 407-644-8281.
For more information regarding the City of Winter Park, please visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and watch us on both Vimeo and YouTube.