Police holiday food drive
Dec. 12 City Commission meeting
There will be a City Commission meeting Monday, Dec. 12, at 3:30 p.m. in City Hall Commission Chambers located at 401 S. Park Ave. For the most up-to-date agenda, please visit cityofwinterpark.org under What’s New. Below are a few topics of interest:
• Recognition – “Winter in the Park” Holiday Window Contest winners
• Approve the minutes for Nov. 28, 2016.
• Approve contract and purchase order (for a complete listing visit cityofwinterpark.org/ccpackets).
• Approve the labor agreement with Winter Park Professional Firefighters Local 1598.
• Approve the 2017-2021 Interlocal Mutual Aid Agreement with Seminole County law enforcement agencies.
• Approve the Mutual Aid Agreement with FDLE to participate on a Central Florida Child Abduction Response Team.
• Approve the 2017-2021 Interlocal Voluntary Cooperation Operation Assistance Agreement with Seminole County for a K-9 Unit.
• Approve the Municipal Interlocal Voluntary Cooperation Mutual Aid Agreement (Orange County municipalities).
Action Items Requiring Discussion
• Historic preservation incentive for electric tie-in to individually designated historic properties along streets with underground power lines.
• First reading of the ordinance amending Chapter 74, Personnel, Article V, Retirement and Pension Plans, Division 3, Firefighters.
• Request of the city of Winter Park:
— Second reading of the ordinance to amend the "Comprehensive Plan” Future Land Use Map from an Institutional Future Land Use designation to a Low Density Residential Future Land Use designation on the vacant “Blake Yard” property at 301 W. Comstock Ave.
— Second reading of the ordinance to amend the Official Zoning Map from Public, Quasi-Public (PQP) District zoning to Low Density Residential (R-2) District zoning on the vacant “Blake Yard” property at 301 W. Comstock Ave.
• Request of W F G Ltd.:
Second reading to amend the "Comprehensive Plan” Future Land Use Map to change from Low Density Residential to Commercial Future Land Use Designation on the vacant property fronting on Symonds Avenue (former 620/630 Symonds).
Second reading to amend the official zoning map to change from Low Density Residential (R-2) District zoning to Commercial (C-3) District zoning on the vacant property fronting on Symonds Avenue (former 620/630 Symonds).
• Request of CDS Contractor, Inc.:
- Subdivision approval to re-orient and replat the properties at 1300 and 1324 Miller Ave.
• Resolution – Designating 1124 Azalea Lane as a historic resource on the Winter Park Register of Historic Places.
This hearing must be held after 5:01 p.m.
• First reading of the ordinance amending the Comprehensive Plan and Chapter 58 “Land Development Code,” Article 1, “Comprehensive Plan,” so as to adopt a new City of Winter Park Comprehensive Plan, Goals, Objectives and Policies document, substituting for the current 2009 Comprehensive Plan, adopted on Feb. 23, 2009, together with all subsequent amendments.
Remember, if you are unable to attend City Commission meetings, you can watch them live, gavel to gavel, as they happen. During the meeting, simply log on to cityofwinterpark.org/cclive to easily stay tuned-in to official city business.
Police holiday food drive
It’s that time of year again when the Winter Park Police Department collects food, clothing and hygiene items for those less fortunate than us. The drive is now through Friday, Dec. 16. Donations will be disseminated to our local food banks that service our senior citizens and children in need. Donations can be dropped off at the lobby of the Public Safety Facility, located at 500 N. Virginia Ave., attn. Javier Rodriguez. For more information, please call 407-599-3301.
Recycling and crime prevention
In an effort to encourage good crime prevention practices and to foster proper recycling, the Winter Park Police Department has partnered with Waste Pro in providing a large dumpster for residents only to drop off their empty cardboard boxes from electronic purchases and other valuable holiday gift packaging instead of leaving them curbside for Waste Pro pick-up. This is not only an effective way to thwart crime in your neighborhood, but also a preventative method of not advertising to potential criminals what might be “available” in your residence.
The dumpster is available for use Thursday, Dec. 15, through Saturday, Dec. 31 at the police station located in the Public Safety Facility at 500 N. Virginia Ave. It will be positioned on the west side of the building near the intersection of Virginia and Swoope avenues.
For more information about the Winter Park Police Department, please visit wppd.org or cityofwinterpark.org/sustainability for additional recycling details.
Holiday ice rink is open!
Work off those extra holiday calories between now and Sunday, Jan. 8 at “Winter in the Park,” the city’s annual holiday ice skating rink, presented by the Community Redevelopment Agency. The rink is located in Central Park West Meadow at 150 N. New York Ave., on the corner of New York Avenue and Morse Boulevard. For more information, including the event calendar with movie dates and titles, please visit cityofwinterpark.org/witp or call 407-599-3202.
For more information regarding the City of Winter Park, please visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org. Like, follow and watch us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, and YouTube.