"Chalk the Walk" in Central Park
Nov. 10 City Commission meeting
There will be a City Commission meeting Monday, Nov. 10, at 3:30 p.m. in City Hall Commission Chambers located at 401 S. Park Ave. For the most up-to-date agenda, please visit cityofwinterpark.org under What’s New. Below are a few topics of interest:
• Financial Report – September 2014
• Approve the minutes of Oct. 13, 2014.
• Approve blanket purchase orders, purchases and formal solicitations (for a complete listing visit cityofwinterpark.org/ccpackets).
• Cancel the Monday, Dec. 22, City Commission meeting due to the Christmas holiday.
• Approve the amendment to the parking easement agreement with BFC Park Avenue, LLC for the Welbourne Avenue/Center Street compactor site.
Action Items Requiring Discussion
• Presentation and approval – scope of services for visioning
• West Fairbanks Business Façade Program
• Second reading of the ordinance authorizing the conveyance of the city-owned property located at 300 N. Pennsylvania Ave.
• Jewett Orthopedic Clinic: First reading of the ordinance to vacate a utility easement at 1245 Orange Ave.
• DePugh Nursing Home: First reading of the ordinance to vacate a utility easement at 500 W. Morse Blvd.
• First reading of the ordinance amending the Fiscal Year 2014 adopted budget.
• Resolution – Supporting the proposed “All Aboard Florida” intercity passenger rail service between downtown Miami and the Orlando International Airport
• Resolution – Approving an amended and restated development order for the Ravaudage development.
• Request of Benjamin Partners, Ltd. and American Land Ventures Inc.:
— Approval of setback amendments for the fifth and sixth floors of the proposed six-story, 296-unit apartment project.
Remember, if you are unable to attend City Commission meetings, you can watch them live, gavel-to-gavel as they happen. During the meeting, simply log on to cityofwinterpark.org/cclive to easily stay tuned-in to official city business.
CoffeeTalk with Commissioner Carolyn Cooper
If you have a latte beans to grind or simply want to espresso your thoughts, CoffeeTalk may be the cup for you! This month’s CoffeeTalk will feature Commissioner Carolyn Cooper, Thursday, Nov. 6, at 8 a.m. Please make plans to join her for conversation in an informal environment and a cup of coffee provided by Palmano’s Cafe, Coffee & Wine Bar. CoffeeTalk is held at the Welcome Center located at 151 W. Lyman Ave. For more information, please call 407-599-3428.
Get rid of your bulky items
The city of Winter Park is pleased to announce the 2014 Fall Cleanup during the month of November is just in time for the holiday season. This large-item pickup service will provide a bonus day on which Waste Pro, the city’s solid waste service provider, will pick up old furniture, broken appliances, and other bulky items.
To take advantage of this convenient service, residents must place their items curbside after 5 p.m., on the evening before their second scheduled garbage and trash pickup day during their designated cleanup week. If you live north of the Fairbanks/Aloma avenues corridor, your bonus pick-up day will be Thursday, Nov. 6, or Friday, Nov. 7. If you live south of the Fairbanks/Aloma avenues corridor, your bonus pick-up day will be Thursday, Nov. 13, or Friday, Nov. 14.
Please note: Hazardous waste, electronics and yard waste are not included in the Fall Cleanup.
For more information regarding Winter Park’s Annual Fall Cleanup or additional information regarding Waste Pro services, please call 407-774-0800.
“Chalk the Walk” in Central Park
The city’s Parks & Recreation Department is pleased to present a new event, “Chalk the Walk” in Central Park to be held Saturday, Nov. 8, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event is similar to a street-painting festival, but unique in that the sidewalks of beautiful Central Park will become the canvas on which artists create their magnificent works of chalk art. The event is open to spectators all day.
Prizes for the show totaling $2,500 will be presented to winners from adult, high school and middle school categories. Winners will be announced from the main stage in Central Park at 5 p.m. To participate and chalk in the event is free and open to the public. For more information regarding “Chalk the Walk,” please call 407-599-3275.
Ice rink opens Nov. 14!
Beginning Friday, Nov. 14, 2014, through Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015, the city of Winter Park will bundle up once again for “Winter in the Park,” the city’s annual holiday ice skating rink, presented by the Community Redevelopment Agency. The rink is located in Central Park West Meadow at 150 N. New York Ave., on the corner of New York Avenue and Morse Boulevard, in downtown Winter Park. Opening weekend, Saturday, Nov. 15, and Sunday, Nov. 16, will feature fun and exciting promotional giveaways!
Snowflakes of all ages and skill levels are invited to chill out as they glide, spin and turn at Winter in the Park during the following hours:
• Monday through Thursday, 3 to 9 p.m.
• Friday, 3 to 10 p.m.
• Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Sunday, noon to 8 p.m.
See cityofwinterpark.org for extended school holiday hours.
Snow angels are invited to skate all day for only $12 per skater (skate rental included). For a blizzard of 20 or more people, some cool group discounts are available for all this frigid fun. If you are interested in bringing your whole igloo to celebrate birthdays, special events, private parties or corporate holiday gatherings, the rink is available for rental opportunities. Advance reservations are required for private party and group events to avoid an icy avalanche of skaters at the rink.
Holiday music, games, carolers and so much more will flurry around you as you enjoy Winter in the Park. For more information, please call 407-599-3203 or visit cityofwinterpark.org/witp
Visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org, find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, watch us on Vimeo.