Recent update from the police department
Recent update from the police department
Although we know our community is grieving and answers cannot come soon enough, the police department reassures you that the Roger Trindade death investigation continues to be a top priority for our agency. The Medical Examiner’s office is several weeks away from concluding all of their testing. Until we know what caused his death, we cannot make an accurate assessment of what criminal charges are appropriate. In criminal cases where juveniles are arrested, there is a very short window between the arrest and the prosecution. Law enforcement must be prepared to go to trial within 21 days of the arrest.
In the meantime, our investigators are tirelessly pursuing their investigation and regularly communicating with the family. While we understand that our citizens want answers, we appreciate everyone’s patience in ensuring that a complete and thorough investigation is completed. Thank you for your continued support of the Trindade family in this difficult time. Please continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
Old Waste Pro cart pick up
Place carts curbside and leave them curbside. Waste Pro will continue to travel through the city to collect your old solid waste carts and recycle bins.
To ensure pick up of your old Waste Pro carts and bins, please place your empty cart(s) out on the curb for pickup and leave them curbside until they are picked up within the next two weeks.
Thank you for your continued patience and cooperation during this transition. For more information regarding your carts, please call Waste Pro customer service at 407-774-0800.
Nov. 14 City Commission meeting highlights
• A proclamation was presented in recognition for Small Business Saturday.
• The Winter Park Police Department presented its 2016 International Association for Chiefs of Police ‘Law Enforcement Challenge’ 1st Place Award for Highway Safety.
• The minutes for Oct. 24, 2016, were approved.
• The purchases and contracts were approved (for a complete listing visit cityofwinterpark.org/ccpackets).
• Request of JT Palm Holdings LLC (Cask & Larder):
— The second reading of the ordinance amending the “Comprehensive Plan” Future Land Use Map to change from a Single Family Density Residential Designation to a Parking Lot Designation on the vacant property at 520 S. Pennsylvania Ave. was approved.
— The second reading of the ordinance amending the official zoning map to change from Single Family Residential (R-1A) District zoning to Parking Lot (PL) District zoning on the property at 520 S. Pennsylvania Ave. was approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance repealing and replacing Chapter 82, Solid Waste, Article I, in General and Article II, Municipal Collection and Disposal Service, was approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance proposing an amendment to the City Charter, eliminating Primary Elections for candidates for City Commission and Mayor, and providing for run-off elections; submitting proposed Charter amendment to a vote by the electors of Winter Park via referendum at the General City Election to be held Tuesday, March 14, 2017; providing for amendment of Chapter 42 of the City Code regarding city elections if the Charter amendment is adopted, was approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance amending the adopted budget and accompanying the 5-Year Capital Improvement Plan for FY2015-2016, was approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance amending the Comprehensive Plan and Chapter 58 “Land Development Code,” Article 1, “Comprehensive Plan,” so as to adopt a new City of Winter Park Comprehensive Plan, Goals, Objectives and Policies document, substituting for the current 2009 Comprehensive Plan adopted Feb. 23, 2009, together with all subsequent amendments, was approved.
A full copy of the Nov. 14 City Commission minutes will be available at cityofwinterpark.org/ccminutes the week of Nov. 28, pending approval by the City Commission.
Holiday ice rink opens this Friday!
Beginning Friday, Nov. 18 through Sunday, Jan. 8, the City of Winter Park will bundle up once again for “Winter in the Park,” the city’s annual holiday ice skating rink, presented by the Community Redevelopment Agency. The rink is located in Central Park West Meadow located at 150 N. New York Ave., on the corner of New York Avenue and Morse Boulevard. Opening day, Friday, Nov. 18, will feature half price entry for everyone!
Snowflakes of all ages and skill levels are invited to chill out at “Winter in the Park” during the following hours:
• Monday thru Thursday, 3 to 9 p.m.
• Friday, 3 to 10 p.m.
• Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Sunday, Noon to 8 p.m.
See website for extended school holiday hours.
Snow angels are invited to skate all day for only $12 per skater (skate rental included). For a blizzard of 20 or more people, cool group discounts are available. If you are interested in bringing your whole igloo to celebrate birthdays, special events, private parties or corporate holiday gatherings, the rink is available for rental opportunities. Advance reservations are required for private party and group events to avoid an avalanche of skaters.
Holiday movies, music, games, and so much more will flurry around as you enjoy “Winter in the Park.” For more information, including the event calendar with movie dates and titles, please visit 407-599-3203 or cityofwinterpark.org/witp.
For more information regarding the City of Winter Park, please visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org. Like, follow and watch us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, and YouTube.