Community center pool almost open
May 13 City Commission meeting highlights
There was a City Commission meeting held May 13 in City Hall Commission Chambers. Below are a few highlights from that meeting:
• A presentation was made in honor of the Habitat for Humanity dedication of 626 W. Comstock Ave.
• The city was awarded for achieving a Class 1 Public Protection Classification for Fire Protection from the Insurance Services Office (ISO). This ranking places the city in the top 0.02 percent of the United States for fire protection and safety. The Winter Park Fire-Rescue Department is one of only 10 agencies of approximately 1,630 in the state and one of 59 fire departments of approximately 45,000 fire districts in the nation that holds a Class 1 rating – the highest public fire protection classification rating available.
• The following proclamations were made declaring Robert Melanson Day, Building Safety Month, and Emergency Medical Services Week.
• The 2013 board appointments were approved as presented.
• The minutes of 4/22/13 were approved with one modification.
• The various purchases, contracts and formal solicitations were approved (for a full listing, please visit cityofwinterpark.org under What’s New > City Commission Agenda).
• The “Winter in the Park” holiday ice rink contract with Magic Ice was approved.
Action items requiring discussion
• The proposal to swap 645 Symonds Ave. in exchange for 813 W. New England Ave. was approved.
• The request for extension of Vehicle Sales Agreement as well as Settlement and Use Agreements for the Orlando RV properties was approved for a three-year extension.
• The High Performance Sports Management Inc. contract was approved.
• Staff was directed to explore video broadcasting of City Commission meetings.
• SunTrust Bank’s request to extend the conditional use approval to permit the redevelopment of the property at 301 S. New York Ave. with a new drive-in bank teller facility was approved until Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014.
• The requests of the Jewett Orthopedic Clinic’s second readings of the ordinances changing the future land use designations and zoning on the properties at 930, 950 and 960 Minnesota Ave. were approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance vacating and abandoning certain streets within the Ravaudage Planned Development and Home Acres area was approved with a modification.
• The first readings of the two ordinances establishing city zoning on the non-Ravaudage properties in the Home Acres annexation area were approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance establishing hours of operation for state licensed massage therapy businesses and to prohibit residential use of such commercial and office space was approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance revising the permitted uses along Park Avenue, south of Comstock Avenue, and providing the definitions for fast casual and fine dining restaurants was tabled.
• The first reading of the ordinance regarding Qualification of Candidates and Clerk’s Certification was postponed to the next City Commission meeting.
A full copy of the May 13 City Commission minutes will be available at cityofwinterpark.org the week of June 10, pending approval by City Commission.
The community center pool almost open!
The Parks & Recreation Department of the city of Winter Park is pleased to announce the pool at the Winter Park Community Center located at 721 W. New England Ave. will re-open for the season on Saturday, May 25. The free celebration from noon to 6 p.m. will feature fun for the entire family including swimming, music and dancing.
The Winter Park community is also invited to attend the “School’s Out Party” at the Community Center pool Saturday, June 8, from noon to 5 p.m. Begin your summer fun by joining with family and friends at this community event to include swimming, games, contests, drawings and prizes. The “School’s Out Party” is free to Winter Park residents and those with a Community Center pool pass. All others will be offered half-price pool entry.
Upcoming events at the Community Center pool also include:
Monday, May 27, Memorial Day special hours - noon to 5 p.m.
Thursday, July 4, Independence Day special hours - noon to 5 p.m.
Saturday, July 20, Pool-side BBQ - noon to 5 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 17, Annual Luau Party - noon to 5 p.m.
Monday, Sept. 2, Labor Day special hours - noon to 5 p.m.
Monday, Sept. 30, pool will close for the season
For additional event information regarding the Winter Park Community Center pool, please call 407-643-1650.
Visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and watch us on Vimeo.