Art on the Green returns
Oct. 26 City Commission meeting highlights
• Proclamations were presented in recognition of Sam Jones’ Retirement, World Stroke Day, and Feed the Need.
City Manager’s Report
• “Inside the City” Episode II: CRA was presented and can be viewed on the city’s social media sites.
• There was discussion regarding the Historic Preservation Ordinance process and the first reading of the ordinance will be heard at the Monday, Nov. 9, City Commission meeting.
• The minutes for Oct. 12, 2015, were approved.
• The various purchases and a contract was approved (for a complete list, please visit cityofwinterpark.org/ccpackets).
Action Items Requiring Discussion
• The potential for a new library/civic center was discussed and the following items were addressed:
— The final report form ACi Inc. was accepted.
— The general location of the new library/civic center was approved at the existing civic center site.
— Staff was directed to bring back an ordinance calling for a bond referendum to be held in conjunction with the city elections Tuesday, March 15, 2016, in an amount not to exceed $30 million.
The request of Erling Falk for a subdivision or lot split to divide the vacant property at 1295 N. Park Ave., zoned R-1A, into two single-family building lots, was approved.
• The request of New Hope Baptist Church for Conditional Use approval to use portable buildings on their church property for Sunday school classroom space and fellowship hall activities in conjunction with the church at 274 N. Capen Ave., was tabled.
• The requests of Bethel Baptist Church for the property at 347 W. New England Ave. resulted in as follows:
— The first reading of the ordinance to change the Future Land Use designation of Commercial to Central Business District was approved.
— The first reading of the ordinance to change the zoning of Medium Density Multifamily Residential (R-3) District to Commercial (C-2) District was approved.
• The request of Rollins College for the College Arms property at 315 Holt Ave. was tabled.
• The request of Holler Hyundai dealership at 1150 N. Orlando Ave. for Conditional Use approval to expand the Holler Hyundai dealership was approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance amending the Fiscal Year 2015 adopted budget was approved.
• The first reading of the ordinance updating the ordinary high-water elevations of the lakes, and provide clarifications of waterfront review procedures and development standards was approved.
A full copy of the Oct. 26 City Commission minutes will be available at cityofwinterpark.org/ccminutes the week of Nov. 9, pending approval by the City Commission.
Art on the Green returns
The city of Winter Park and the Public Art Advisory Board are preparing for the return of Art on the Green, a major exhibition of large-scale sculptures displayed in the 11-acre Central Park in downtown Winter Park. Art on the Green 2015-2016 will feature the works of noted artists with ties to Florida. The seven sculptures will be on display from Sunday, Nov. 1, 2015, through Tuesday, March 1, 2016, concurrent with park hours. The exhibition is organized by guest curator Suzanne Delehanty, principal of Suzanne Delehanty LLC, and founding director of the Miami Art Museum, now known as Pérez Art Museum Miami.
For more information regarding the exhibition, including an online exhibition catalogue, please visit cityofwinterpark.org/AoG.
The city is pleased to announce the 2015 Fall Cleanup during the month of November is just in time for the holiday season. This large-item pickup service will provide a ‘bonus’ day on which Waste Pro, the city’s solid waste service provider, will pick up old furniture, broken appliances, and other bulky items.
To take advantage of this convenient service, residents must place their items curbside after 5 p.m., on the evening before their second scheduled garbage and trash pickup day on their designated cleanup week. If you live north of the Fairbanks/Aloma avenues corridor, your bonus pick-up day will be Thursday, Nov. 5, or Friday, Nov. 6. If you live south of the Fairbanks/Aloma avenues corridor, your bonus pick-up day will be Thursday, Nov. 12, or Friday, Nov. 13.
Please note: Hazardous waste, electronics and yard waste are not included in the Fall Cleanup.
For more information regarding Winter Park’s Annual Fall Cleanup or Waste Pro services, please call 407-774-0800.
Honoring Winter Park Heroes
On Friday, Nov. 6, 2015, at 10 a.m., the city of Winter Park will present its fifth annual Veterans Day Celebration “Honoring Winter Park Heroes.” This event will be held in honor of all of the veterans of Winter Park at the Winter Park Community Center Ruby Ball Amphitheatre located at 721 W. New England Ave. The program will include remarks by guest speaker Col. Lance A. Kildron, commander of Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 159, and professor of aerospace studies at the University of Central Florida.
The city calls all veterans that have served in any military campaign or military branch in honor of our nation’s freedom. This event pays tribute to their dedicated service to our country and the community is invited to join us in honoring these distinguished men and women.
Beginning at 9:30 a.m., the VFW Post 2093 Community Band will be entertaining guests as they visit with organizations and services that offer resources specifically for veteran needs. At 10 a.m., the official program will begin with musical tributes, anecdotal speakers including Col. Kildron, and recognition of veterans according to the various military branches served. For more information regarding the city’s fifth annual Veterans Day Celebration, please call 407-599-3428.
CoffeeTalk with City Manager Randy Knight
This year marks the 10th anniversary of CoffeeTalk where the community can talk one-on-one with city leaders. On Thursday, Nov. 12, citizens can join me for my CoffeeTalk at 8 a.m., at the Winter Park Welcome Center located at 151 W. Lyman Ave. Let’s enjoy a cup of conversation and great coffee provided by Barnie’s Coffee Kitchen. For more information, please call 407-599-3428.
For more information regarding the City of Winter Park, please visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org. Like, follow and watch us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, and YouTube.