West Orange High alumnus Doug Nikhazy threw a school record-tying 16 strikeouts through seven innings of work, which moved him to fourth all-time on the Ole Miss Rebels’ single-season strikeout chart.
1. Cory Rahman — alumnus of Foundation Academy and Southeastern University standout — was named Scholar Athlete of the Day Sunday, June 6, by the National Football Foundation. It’s the latest accomplishment for Rahman, who recently was named to the NAIA Football All-America First Team as a defensive back. In a six-game shortened 2020 season, Rahman recorded 34 total tackles and three interceptions.
2. The Little League All-Star season has begun, and the Winter Garden Little League Tournament of Champions team is off to a great start. It went 2-0 last weekend — beating South Lake 20-12 Saturday, June 5, and Apopka 14-2 Sunday, June 6. The tournament continued Monday night versus Windermere.
3. West Orange High alumnus Doug Nikhazy pitched a game to remember for the Ole Miss baseball team in the Rebels’ 4-3 win over Florida State in the Oxford regional Saturday, June 5. In the win, Nikhazy threw a school record-tying 16 strikeouts through seven innings of work, which moved him to fourth all-time on the Rebels’ single-season strikeout chart. The showcase came a few days after he became the fourth two-time All-American in Ole Miss baseball history.
4. Olympia alumnus Nick Gordon — and shortstop for the Minnesota Twins — had his first MLB home run in the Twins’ 14-5 loss to the Kansas City Royals Friday, June 4. So far this season, Gordon has taken advantage of his time on the field, with an offensive line at the plate of .375/.412/.974.
5. A few changes in the baseball head coaching ranks have occurred over the last two weeks at local schools. Dr. Phillips head coach Ray Evans resigned after a three-year stint at the school, where he led the Panthers to a 42-21 record and back-to-back district titles. Meanwhile, Jay Welsh was announced as the new head coach at Foundation Academy — taking over for Chase Newman, who coached the school the previous two years.