Spring Pops Concert 'Race For Space'
March 13 City Commission meeting & CRA meeting
There will be a City Commission meeting Monday, March 13, at 3:30 p.m., in City Hall Commission Chambers located at 401 S. Park Ave. For the most up-to-date agenda, please visit cityofwinterpark.org under What’s New. Below are a few topics of interest:
• Recognition – 2016 Plant Operations Excellence Award from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection
• Board appointments – Golf Course Advisory Board
City Manager’s Report
• Employee Recognition – 20, 25, 30 and 35 years of service
Adjourn as the City Commission and convene as the CRA Agency. After completion, adjourn the CRA Agency and re-convene as the City Commission.
CRA Agency Action Item
- SunRail’s “Get On Board” support request for Saturday, March 18, 2017 operations
Continue with Commission meeting
• SunRail statistics
• Approve the minutes for Feb. 27, 2017.
• Approve contracts (for a complete list, please visit cityofwinterpark.org/ccpackets).
Action Items Requiring Discussion
• Library and events center decisions
• Request of Rollins College:
Second reading of the ordinance to amend Article III, “Zoning Regulations” to change the text of the Commercial Zoning District to add a new conditional use to include “Facility Operations and Skilled Trade Shops” when serving a university or college.
Second reading of the ordinance to amend the “Comprehensive Plan” Future Land Use Map to change from a Low Density Residential Future Land Use Designation to a Commercial Future Land Use Designation on 875 square feet of the northwest corner of 483 Holt Ave.
Second reading of the ordinance to amend the Official Zoning Map to change from Low Density Residential District zoning to Commercial District zoning on 875 square feet of the northwest corner of 483 Holt Ave.
• Reconsideration of subdivision or lot split request to divide the property at 1800 Edwin Blvd. into two single-family lots.
• Second reading of the ordinance authorizing the conveyance of the city-owned property located at 2600 Lee Road.
• First reading of the ordinance amending Section 6-5 of Chapter 6, Code of Ordinances, concerning distribution of handbills; providing for regulations of door-to-door distribution of leaflets, pamphlets and other handbills upon private property; providing for reasonable and content-neutral regulations of expression and speech; providing for regulations necessary to maintain aesthetics of the city and to prevent the excessive accumulation of litter by providing the least restrictive manner of securing expressive items.
Remember, if you are unable to attend City Commission meetings, you can watch them live, gavel to gavel, as they happen. During the meeting, simply log on to cityofwinterpark.org/cclive to easily stay tuned-in to official city business.
Spring Pops Concert “Race For Space”
The city will proudly host the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra as they present Spring Pops “Race For Space” Sunday, March 12, 2017, at 6 p.m., in charming Central Park in downtown Winter Park. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs to enjoy an evening of heart-warming music under the stars. This wonderful performance is made possible by a generous grant from the Charlotte Julia Hollander Trust. The event is free and open to the public.
Conductor Dean Whiteside and guest vocalist Natalie Cordone will lead the Orlando Philharmonic in a program entitled “Race for Space,” featuring music inspired by the race for space. Selections will include space-themed music by John Williams such as the “Theme from E.T.,” “Star Wars,” “Star Trek: Next Generation,” and more!
Election Day is coming!
The General Election is scheduled for Tuesday, March 14, 2017. Voters will be asked to vote on the following items:
City Commission Seat 1
Greg Seidel (incumbent) OR Wes Naylor
Proposed City Charter Amendment Article III, Section 3.04
official ballot language
Shall the City of Winter Park amend Article III, Section 3.04 of its Charter, as provided in Ordinance No.3056-16, to eliminate primary elections for selection of candidates for City Commissioner and Mayor and instead provide for a run-off election between the two candidates receiving the most votes for a seat if no candidate for such seat receives a majority of the vote in the general election? Yes __ No __
Basic facts about the charter amendment
Section 3.04 of the City Charter provides for and requires a primary election for the selection of candidates for the offices of City Commissioner and Mayor, when more than two candidates qualify, to be held on the second Tuesday in February, prior to the city’s general election.
The City Commission finds that it is in the best interests of the residents of Winter Park that Section 3.04 of the City Charter be amended to eliminate primary elections for candidates for City Commissioner and Mayor and instead provide for a run-off election to be held after the city’s general election, on the second Tuesday in April, if no candidate for a particular seat receives a majority of the vote in the general election.
The City of Winter Park is currently the only city in Orange County that holds a primary election.
More municipal election information: cityofwinterpark.org/elections, 407-599-3277 or [email protected]. To find your polling place, please go to the Orange County Supervisor of Elections website at ocfelections.com/voter_lookup/FindPollingPlace.aspx and after entering your address make sure to click on the “municipal” tab.
For more information regarding the City of Winter Park, please visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org. Like, follow and watch us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, and YouTube