Beware of shady tree services
Jan. 9 City Commission meeting
There will be a City Commission meeting Monday, Jan. 9, at 3:30 p.m., in City Hall Commission Chambers located at 401 S. Park Ave. For the most up-to-date agenda, please visit cityofwinterpark.org under What’s New. Below are a few topics of interest:
• Civil Service Board appointments
• Approve the minutes for Dec. 12, 2016.
• Approve contract renewal with Gerhartz & Associates LLC, and authorize the mayor to execute Amendment No. 4.
Action Items Requiring Discussion
• Historic preservation incentive for electric tie-in to individually designated historic properties along streets with underground power lines.
• Request of CDS Contractor Inc.: Subdivision approval to re-orient and re-plat the properties at 1300 and 1324 Miller Ave. (Staff will request to table).
• Request of Randall Lazarus for subdivision or lot split approval to divide the property at 1800 Edwin Blvd. into two single family lots.
• First reading of the ordinance providing for approval of the Project Wellness final plat and acceptance of the dedications; providing for the vacation and abandonment of certain portions of Mizell Avenue, South Edinburgh Drive and North Perth Lane; providing for the vacation and abandonment of certain distribution and utility easements; providing for the renaming of certain public rights of way.
• Request of Phil Kean Designs:
First reading of the ordinance amending the Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map to change the designation of Low Density Residential to Parking Lot on the north 20 feet of 947 N. Kentucky Ave.
First reading of the ordinance amending the Official Zoning Map to change Low Density Residential zoning to Parking Lot District zoning on the north 20 feet of 947 N. Kentucky Ave.
• Request of Mr. Morgan Bellows:
First reading of the ordinance amending the Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map to change the Future Land Use designation of single Family Residential to Low Density Residential at 335 W. Comstock Ave.
First reading of the ordinance amending the Official Zoning Map to change single Family Residential District zoning to Low Density Residential District zoning at 335 W. Comstock Ave.
• Request of TGG Ltd.
First reading of the ordinance amending the Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map to change the Future Land Use Designation of Commercial to Central Business District at 309 W. New England Ave.
First reading of the ordinance amending the Official Zoning Map to change Medium Density Multi-Family Residential District zoning to Commercial District at 309 W. New England Ave.
• Request of Sydgan Corporation:
- Resolution – Approving amendments to the development order for the Ravaudage Planned Development (PD) encompassing the following items:
1) To modify the Ravaudage PD height map, sheet C-5 of the development plans
2) To amend the Ravaudage Land Use Plan to provide entitlements for two properties added to the Ravaudage PD
These amendments do not apply to 1035 N. Orlando Ave., 1235 Lee Road, 1006 Lewis Drive or 1231 Kindel Ave., within the Ravaudage PD.
Remember, if you are unable to attend City Commission meetings, you can watch them live gavel-to-gavel, as they happen. During the meeting, simply log on to cityofwinterpark.org/cclive to easily stay tuned-in to official city business.
Dinner on the Avenue tables on sale Jan. 9
The city of Winter Park is proud to announce the 16th annual Dinner on the Avenue will be held Saturday, April 8, from 6 to 10 p.m. Hosted by the city, this unique, fun-filled dining experience has become the social event of the year.
Tables will go on sale Monday, Jan. 9, at 8 a.m. at the Winter Park Community Center located at 721 W. New England Ave.
Gather a table of friends, family, co-workers or neighbors to dine under the stars on beautiful Park Avenue. Tables of eight are available for just $125 each. Only the table, white linen tablecloth and chairs are provided - everything else is up to you. Get creative with table set-up and let your appetites decide whether you bring your own potluck dinner or hire a local caterer to satisfy your palate.
Creativity is encouraged and each group is challenged to develop its own unique look and individual décor. Awards will be presented to winners in various categories including most colorful, most elegant, most original, best TV/movie-themed and honorable mentions. The judging will begin at 7 p.m. sharp, and awards will be presented once the judges have decided on the winners.
For more information regarding this unique dining experience, please visit cityofwinterpark.org/dinner or call 407-643-1613.
Last weekend to ice skate!
Work off those extra holiday calories between now and Sunday, Jan. 8, at “Winter in the Park,” the city’s annual holiday ice skating rink, presented by the Community Redevelopment Agency. The rink is located in Central Park West Meadow at 150 N. New York Ave., on the corner of New York Avenue and Morse Boulevard. For more information, including the event calendar with movie dates and titles, please visit cityofwinterpark.org/witp or call 407-599-3202.
Beware of shady tree services
The city of Winter Park has recently received numerous calls regarding questionable tree service companies that are soliciting work from unsuspecting residents based upon false information.
These tree companies are going door-to-door and claiming work must be done on trees on or around residents’ property, or else face fines for violating city code. They offer steep discounts and if the resident allows for this work to be done, some of these companies actually compromise the health of the tree by not following best management practices of proper pruning and use of climbing spurs, as examples.
If you are approached by a tree service company soliciting this type of work, please contact our Urban Forestry Division at 407-599-3325 or email [email protected]. Upon receipt, a member of the city’s urban forestry crew will advise and assess if any work needs to be done.
If you need to prune or remove a tree, you can find an I.S.A. Certified arborist at isa-arbor.com. This site also provides an online tool to verify the credentials of arborists soliciting work.
Please visit cityofwinterpark.org/urbanforestry to find the necessary permits, applications and forms as it relates to the maintenance, protection and preservation of one of our city’s most treasured assets, our urban forest.
For more information regarding the city of Winter Park, please visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org. Like, follow and watch us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, and YouTube.