With daylight-savings time ending on Sunday, Nov. 3, this also marks the 26th year of the “Change Your Clock, Change Your Battery” program sponsored by Energizer and the International Association of Fire Chiefs. The Change your Clock, Change Your Battery program reminds us to change and test the batteries in our smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. The message is simple and the habit can be lifesaving.
The Maitland Fire Department reminds its residents that one simple step can help save their lives and those around them. Everyone is encouraged to use the extra hour they “gain” from daylight savings time to change the batteries in their own smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, test the alarm and remind friends, family, and neighbors to do the same.
Changing smoke alarm batteries at least one time per year, testing those alarms, and reminding others to do the same are some of the simplest, most effective ways to reduce tragic deaths and injuries. Additionally, the International Association of Fire Chiefs recommends that smoke alarm devices in homes be replaced every 10 years, and recommends having both ionization and photo electric alarms to alert people to all types of fires.
For more information, call the Maitland Fire Department at 407-539-6228.
City Council Agenda of Nov. 11, 2013
City Council meets the second and fourth Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. The next Council meeting is scheduled for Nov. 11 in the Council Chambers, 1776 Independence Lane. Below is the agenda for that meeting.
• Employee of the Quarter
• Orange County Natural Resource Ordinance
• Ordinance – Proposed Charter Language/Billboards
• Ordinance – Urban Chickens
• Approve the City Council Meeting Minutes of Oct. 28, 2013
• Accept the Board of Zoning Adjustment Meeting Minutes of Sept. 26, 2013
• Accept the Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting Minutes of Oct. 3, 2013
• Approve Carry-forward of Funds for FY13
• FlexBus – Approve Signing of FlexBus Interlocal Agreement
• Extension of Federal Lobbying Services Agreement – Alcalde & Fay, Ltd.
• Pet Ownership Responsibilities
For updates, please check our website at itsmymaitland.com