Neon sign electrical failure causes fire at Winter Park strip mall

Winter Park firefighters discovered a small fire caused by a neon sign at a strip mall along Orlando Avenue.

  • By
  • | 11:12 p.m. November 13, 2017
  • Winter Park - Maitland Observer
  • News
  • Share

Winter Park firefighters responded to a commercial building fire at around midnight Saturday night at a strip mall on the 800 block of S. Orlando Avenue, according to a Facebook post from the Winter Park Fire-Rescue Department.

They received a call from employees at a Moe’s Southwest Grill inside the plaza, who had seen smoke coming from the top of the building.

Truck 61 worked on the roof of the building, where they located the fire inside a parapet.

Fire Chief Jim White said that the fire was the result of an electrical failure in one of the neon signs near the roof.

“It could have have been a lot worse,” White said. “If they hadn’t seen it, at 2 or 3 in the morning it could have been a significant fire.”

Multiple engine companies responded to the fire to help extinguish the flames. There were no reported injuries on the scene.


Latest News