- June 19, 2019
85 years ago
Blackmon’s Five and Ten Cent Store moved from the Edgewater Hotel building to its new storeroom in the Roper Building, formerly occupied by Bumby Hardware Company.
The fighting Red Devils of Lakeview High met Titusville, marking the dedication of Walker Field, Winter Garden’s new $10,000 athletic field. It is named in honor of Mayor George Walker, baseball player, through whose efforts the field became a reality.
80 years ago
Construction was starting on 50 modern homes planned for Winter Garden, announced Charles W. Irrgang Jr., owner of part of what is known as Shadow Lawn subdivision.
Frank Roper returned from a business trip and visit to the New York World’s Fair.
75 years ago
A health committee was formed in Oakland to organize the community for the mass X-ray survey that was coming in the early fall. The committee was made up of Mayor Dewey Vick, Mrs. John Hancock, the Rev. T.G. Tate, Mrs. R.T. Sith and F.W. Ross.
70 years ago
Commander Albert C. Valdes of the Hugh T. Gregory Post 63, American Legion, was named to the Music and Contests Committee for the year 1950.
50 years ago
Dick Lindsey was promoted to varsity basketball coach at Lakeview High School. He was a member of Coach Vel Heckman’s football staff as defensive backfield coach and was the JV basketball coach.
30 years ago
Winter Garden Lanes was under new ownership and management with Georgia Corporation in Atlanta. Patsy Wedding, general manager, said the bowling alley will be a clean and friendly family place. It continued to honor coupons from the new Jaycees coupon books.
Sept. 12, 1952
In the 1950s, photographs weren’t as commonplace in newspapers as they are today. The front page of The Winter Garden Times for Sept. 12, 1952, was packed with information and news for readers. The main story announced the upcoming road projects for the new Ocoee-Apopka Road and the Oakland-New Road 50; and other stories shared the winners of the Chamber bass-fishing contest, the need for substitute teachers at Lakeview High School, church news, a robbery at Jim Russ’ Bar at Plant and Main streets, and all the admissions and births at West Orange Memorial Hospital.
FROM THE WINTER GARDEN HERITAGE FOUNDATION ARCHIVES
Clarence Eugene Heidt (1912-87) and Doris Tyson Heidt are shown on their Sept. 7, 1941, wedding day at the Alturas Methodist Church in Alturas, Florida. Clarence Heidt worked for his father at the family feed store on Main Street in Winter Garden. During World War II, he was stationed at Tampa’s Drew Field as an aircraft instrument technician. Following his discharge, Heidt grew citrus and raised cattle. He is a descendent of Solom R. Heidt, who was born Dec. 20, 1838, in Effingham County, Georgia, and served in the Confederate Army.