The town ceremony recognized Eugene Pollard, Willie Welch and Mount Herman Masonic Hall No. 45.
The morning of Saturday, June 16, was full of dedications and unveilings in the town of Oakland.
A crowd gathered under the new Willie Welch Pavilion for the dedication of Pollard Park, on West Hull Avenue, and the old Masonic Lodge cornerstone.
Eugene Pollard lived most of his life in Oakland. He was a well-respected leader and resident and was active in his church, St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, now Champions Cathedral, in Oakland. He owned various rooming houses, as well as two homes, in Oakland.
Pollard served as secretary of the Mount Herman Masonic Lodge No. 45.
The lodge, formerly located on Sadler Avenue, was erected in 1950, and Pollard was respected for his role in the lodge.
During the dedication of the park, the town unveiled the demolished lodge’s cornerstone, which was preserved and placed at the park’s south end.