Movies in the Park featuring “Cars” is 6:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17, on the Village Center Green (in front of Barnie’s) in Baldwin Park. Family activities will begin at 6:30 p.m., followed by entertainment and announcements at 7:30 p.m. Bring lawn chairs and blankets. Seating is limited, so arrive early!
Come celebrate family fun days at the Maitland Art Center. On Aug. 18, learn about calling cards, the social network of the past, at the A&H’s Waterhouse Residence Museum. On Sept. 15, make sound waves and string telephones at the A&H’s Telephone Museum. For more information, call 407-539-2181 or visit ArtandHistory.org
Crealdé School of Art culminates its popular summer ArtCamp program with a youth art exhibition featuring works of the next generation of talented artists from Aug. 18 – Sept. 8 in the Showalter Hughes Community gallery on Crealdé’s campus, with almost 300 pieces of artwork on display. Light refreshments are served. Contact 407-671-1886 or visit crealde.org
Track Shack’s 21st Annual Celebration of Running 5k will be on Saturday, Aug. 18, at the Orlando Science Center Loch Haven Park, 777 E. Princeton St. The 5k will begin at 7:30 a.m. At 8:45 a.m., the Healthy 100 Kids’ Run will begin, and awards will be given out at 9 a.m. This is the first of six premier Orlando running and walking races. For more information, visit trackshack.com
Orange County students get back in the swing of things after a long and hot summer. Monday, Aug. 20, is the first day of the 2012-2013 school year.
Rally Day Kickoff is at St. John Lutheran Church, Winter Park on Sunday, Aug. 26, at 10:15 a.m. There will be a backpack blessing and a noon celebration with food trucks, water slides and bouncy house. It’s at 1600 S. Orlando Ave. Call 407-644-1783.
Maitland Public Library events:
• Ten Warning Signs of Alzheimer’s Disease provided by Alzheimer’s Association is Thursday, Aug. 16, at 6:30 p.m. Please register.
• LCC Poetry Writing is Sunday, Aug. 19, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Please register.
Get your blood pressure checked at the Maitland Public Library on Friday, Aug. 17, from 10 to 11 a.m.
• LCC Cultural Cook: Southern Cooking featuring April’s famous Pineapple Rangoons is Tuesday, Aug. 21, at 6:30 p.m. Please register.
• LCC Artist in the Gallery Peter Burg, a local photographer, presents “Impressions of Cuba” on Aug. 23 at 6:30 p.m.
• Stretching & Toning class is Saturday, Aug. 25, from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Please register.
• At 10:30 a.m. each Tuesday, the Maitland Public Library hosts preschool story and craft time. At 10:30 a.m. each Thursday, it hosts baby time stories and activities. At 4 p.m. each Thursday, it hosts Reading Buddies for kindergarten through fifth grade.
Call 407-647-7700 to register or for more information.
The kids are off school so have some fun in the sun on Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 3.
The Art & History Museums – Maitland presents classes and workshops for children and adults beginning on Sept. 10, including painting, drawing, stained glass, jewelry and pottery. Register at ArtandHistory.org, by phone at 407-539-2181, ext. 265, or in person at 231 W. Packwood Ave.
Send submissions to [email protected]