The Windermere Prep boys basketball team picked up a few awards from the Florida Athletic Coaches Association after another solid season on the court. Senior Zavien Williams was named the FACA 3A, District 11 player of the year, while head coach Brian Hof
1. The Dr. Phillips girls wrestling program kept the dynasty alive as the Panthers won their fifth consecutive state championship Saturday, Feb. 20. The dominating performance — the Panthers captured the title by scoring 27 points more than second-place Freedom — was led by state-champion performances by Juliana Diaz (117-pound division), Armelle Oliantus (162-pound division) and Skyy Gowan (197-pound division).
2. In Foundation Academy baseball’s 17-5 blowout win over Orlando Christian Prep Friday, Feb. 19, sophomore Will Ford had a big day for the Lions. He went 2-for-2 with a double, two runs and four RBIs. Fellow sophomore Braden Holcomb added on to the scoring with a three-run homer while accounting for three runs scored.
3. The Windermere High boys basketball team kept its postseason run going, as the Wolverines downed Boone in a 64-50 win in the Class 7A, Region 2 quarterfinals Thursday, Feb. 18. Leading the way for the Wolverines was a stat-filled night for Sean Stewart, who picked up 21 points, eight rebounds and three blocks. Meanwhile, teammates Trey Moss and Kanye Jones both went off for 15 points and three steals apiece.
4. The Windermere Prep boys basketball team picked up a few awards from the Florida Athletic Coaches Association after another solid season on the court. Senior Zavien Williams was named the FACA 3A, District 11 player of the year, while head coach Brian Hoff was named FACA 3A, District 11 coach of the year.
5. It was a good night for the Windermere Prep softball team Thursday, Feb. 18, as the Lakers dispatched Dr. Phillips in a 17-0 win. Gracie Wallace pitched a no-hitter and struck out nine batters. At the plate, Mia Williams went perfect on the night, as she went 4-for-4 with a grand slam and five RBIs. Madison Carr provided two RBIs on a 3-for-3 night.