History 01.28.16

The Annex Theatre opened in 1949 on Klondike Avenue to serve African-American moviegoers living on Winter Garden’s east side.

  • West Orange Times & Observer
  • Neighborhood
  • Share

The Annex Theatre opened in 1949 on Klondike Avenue to serve African-American moviegoers living on Winter Garden’s east side. Before the theater’s construction, these patrons were seated in the balcony of the Garden Theatre on Plant Street. Films opened at the Annex after they were shown at the Garden. The Winter Garden Heritage Foundation has also learned that a Clifford Scott occasionally picked up film canisters at the ACL depot using a mule. The Annex closed in 1962, and the building eventually became the Maxey Community Center. Learn more about Winter Garden’s movie houses at a presentation and book signing by Irv Lipscomb at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 28, at the WGHF History Center, 21 E. Plant St. Lipscomb will be signing his new book titled “Flickers, Fires and Dreams: The Story of Winter Garden’s Theaters,” which will be available for sale at the event. Don’t miss this opportunity for a rare look at Winter Garden’s theater history.

The Winter Garden Heritage Foundation, which seeks to preserve our heritage and architecture while creating new cultural experiences, is celebrating its third decade with the debut of its new History Research and Education Center.

80 years ago
Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Newton announce the engagement of their daughter, Pauline Beatrice, to Cecil T. Dees.

70 years ago
The University of Florida begins a new quarter this week, and there are a couple of boys from here entering then: Charles and Gracie Hawthorne and Billy Beckett.

45 years ago
Scouting is a family affair for the Meekses, of Ocoee. Monte is a new Eagle Scout, Allen is a new Life Scout, Eddie has just attained First Class, and Mark is a new Tenderfoot. Dad Ray is assistant scoutmaster of Troop 217, and Ouida is the proud mother.

Billy E. Peavey, incoming worshipful master of Winter Garden Lodge 165 F&AM, received the gavel from outgoing Worshipful Master Jack Quesinberry at installation ceremonies.

40 years ago
W.T. “Tommy” Zeigler Jr., president of Zeigler Furniture Co., was released on bail from the county jail. He has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the slaying of four persons in his store on Christmas Eve.

20 years ago
Wade Bradford, president and owner of Bradford Development Corp., was readying the first phase of his new subdivision, the 133-lot Courtlea Oaks on North Dillard Street in Winter Garden.

The late Hoyle Pounds was named to the Florida Citrus Hall of Fame for patenting rubber tires for tractors, which enabled grove workers to travel through the groves without damaging shallow root systems of the citrus trees. He built Pounds Motor Company, a major business in Winter Garden and the first and oldest grove machinery dealership in Florida.

Jan. 18, 1968

Lakeview Middle School, on East Bay Street in Winter Garden, was once the local high school, and the community rallied behind the Lakeview Red Devils. The Winter Garden Times ran the basketball schedule in its Jan. 18, 1968, issue. Local businesses, many of them still in operation, signed on as Lakeview boosters.


Latest News