- February 13, 2020
1. The softball season is quickly approaching, and the West Orange Girls Club has opened its registration for the 2020 spring season — which goes from March to May. The organization will be offering up 8U, 10U, 12U and 13U divisions to accommodate players ages 5 to 17 years old. Opening Day will take place March 28, and games will take place Monday and Wednesday nights. To register, visit wogcbrl.website.sportssignup.com.
2. In Windermere boys basketball’s 71-60 win over Oak Ridge Friday, Jan. 24, junior guard Kanye Jones had an explosive night as he picked up 25 points for the Wolverines (14-6). Fellow guard EJ Yorke tacked on 23 points himself, while Jaden Golston scored 13 points.
3. Freshman Edgerrin James Jr. had a strong showing during Olympia boys basketball’s 61-57 victory over Wekiva Friday, Jan. 24, as he led the Titans in scoring with 16 points. Teammate Julian Fletcher picked up 13 points for the Titans (12-8) in the win. The victory was the fifth in six games for Olympia.
4. A week after the Windermere Prep boys soccer team claimed the SSAC state title in a 4-2 win over All Saints Academy, the girls soccer team took home its second straight SSAC state title in an 8-0 blowout of Admiral Farragut Friday, Jan. 24. The Lakers (12-2) were led by two goals apiece from Brielyn Knowles and Courtney Mogauro, while Isabel Teixeira recorded three assists in the game.
5. In Ocoee boys basketball’s 68-55 win over district foe Lake Brantley Thursday, Jan. 23, senior shooting guard David Green went off for the Knights (15-6) as he picked up a game-high 32 points. The win moved the Knights into a first place tie in the Class 7A District 3 standings alongside Dr. Phillips.