M. Elizabeth “Libby” Johnson Litteral, 97, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 27, 2017, at Health Central Park in Winter Garden.
A former resident of Trailer City in Winter Garden, Libby was born on March 2, 1920, in Carter County, Kentucky. She married Jackson T. Litteral on June 26, 1937. They were married 58 years before his passing in 1995.
During World War II, Libby and Jack moved to Baltimore, Maryland, where Libby worked as a cutter/welder at Bethlehem Shipyards before welcoming their son, Jackson R. Litteral, in 1944.
After the war, Libby and Jack lived in Westwood, Kentucky, before moving to Melbourne, Florida, in 1951. Libby worked for many years managing her husband’s construction and contracting company, JT Litteral Builder, and was then employed as credit manager for JCPenney, where she served as resident of the Brevard County chapter of Credit Women’s International Club.
In 1971, Libby and Jack retired to their dream home, which they planned and built themselves, in Valkaria near Melbourne. The home, with its park-like three acres, fish pond, banana trees, swing, teeter-totter and treehouse, was paradise for their grandchildren.
They downsized in 1984 to a home in Palm Bay (but kept the treehouse, swing and teeter-totter) and finally to Winter Garden in 1991.
Libby was predeceased by her husband, Jackson T. Litteral; parents, Robert E. Johnson and Ollie Mae Fannin Johnson; and brothers, Ernest Johnson and William Johnson.
She is survived by her son, Jack R. Litteral (Bonnie) of Winter Garden; grandchildren, Lisa Litteral Thies (Charlie) of Tallahassee, Jack T. Litteral (Jennifer) of Clermont and Kristin H. Litteral of Tallahassee; great-grandchildren, Andy, Annika, Jack Riley and Jace; sister, Eula J. Harrison of Melbourne; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Libby’s deep love for her family, as well as her keen sense of humor, will be greatly missed. Her life will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Saturday, June 10, at Oakland Presbyterian Church. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Oakland Presbyterian Church.