- September 26, 2020
1. Olympia cross country’s Kai Komatsu had a big day at the West Orange Invite Saturday, Oct. 3, in Winter Garden. He finished in first place with a time of 16:41.36 — less than a second better than Harmony’s Joel Jean. Komatsu’s finish helped push the Titans to an overall first-place finish. Other area schools in the top 10 included Dr. Phillips (second place), Windermere (seventh place) and West Orange (10th place).
2. In Olympia football’s 26-23 comeback win over Oak Ridge Friday, Oct. 2, quarterback CJ Brooks Jr. threw for 237 yards and three touchdowns on 12-of-21 passing. Two of Brooks’ touchdowns — one to Victor Jones Jr. and the other to Krubel Aylay — came in the final five minutes of play to lead the Titans to their second win of the season.
3. Danny Stutsman was all over the field for the Foundation Academy football team in its 44-0 win over Faith Christian Friday, Oct. 2. Stutsman had 189 yards through the air and two touchdown grabs. On the defensive side of the ball, the senior recorded a 45-yard pick-six, one sack and nine total tackles. The win moved the Lions to 4-0 on the season.
4. In West Orange volleyball’s 3-0 (24-26, 17-25, 21-25) loss at the hands of Oviedo Thursday, Oct. 1, sophomore outside hitter Maddie Smith had a solid showing for the Warriors. She picked up 13 kills and 29 digs on the night. The loss dropped the Warriors to 2-2 as of press time Tuesday.
5. The First Academy boys and girls golf teams picked up wins over Windermere Prep Thursday, Oct. 1, at the Ritz Carlton Golf Club (par-36). The boys team was led by Mohit Balaji, whose 2-under-par (34) gave the Royals a narrow 144-146 victory over the Lakers. Meanwhile, the girls 146-152 win was led by Olivia Lu’s 1-under-par (35).