1. In Dr. Phillips girls soccer’s 8-0 win over Celebration Thursday, Dec. 10, Kayla Estep led the way on the pitch as she picked up four of the Panthers’ eight goals on the night. Teammate Alyssa Guzman added two goals. The win gave the Panthers (2-4) their second win of the season — and second in a row.
2. Despite Windermere Prep boys basketball’s 52-45 loss at the hands of The First Academy Thursday, Dec. 10, senior Elijah Hulsewe recorded a double-double by scoring 16 points and grabbing 12 rebounds for the Lakers. Teammate and fellow senior Zavien Williams also had a strong outing for the Lakers. He went off for 18 points, seven rebounds and two steals.
3. The West Orange girls basketball team dominated in a 59-22 win over Lake Minneola Wednesday, Dec. 9, and a big part of that was the one-two punch of junior Ajalon Gillard and freshman Jasmynne Gibson. Gillard went 6-of-13 from the floor for 17 points while picking up five rebounds and six assists. Meanwhile, Gibson finished with 13 points, eight rebounds and four steals to help lead the Warriors to a 6-4 record.
4. In Foundation Academy boys soccer’s 4-0 thumping of Colonial Tuesday, Dec. 8, junior midfielder Ian Garcia had a solid outing. He scored all four of the Lions’ goals during the match. The Lions (3-1) followed up that victory with a 2-1 win over Mount Dora to move to 3-1 going into the Christmas break.
5. The Olympia boys soccer team continued its strong start to the season with a 4-2 victory over East Ridge Tuesday, Dec. 8. In the win, the Titans were led by Richard Iabanca who scored two goals, while teammates Julio Gonzales and Adrian Sandoval each scored a goal. The Titans followed up their win with a 4-2 loss to rival Dr. Phillips.