1. In Windermere Prep girls basketball’s 43-25 win over Trinity Prep Thursday, Nov. 19, eighth-grader Sofiah Miller exploded for 17 points on a 7-for-11 shooting night. Miller also picked up 12 total rebounds, three assists and two steals for the Lakers in the victory.
2. Former Ocoee High basketball standout Grant Riller was drafted by the Charlotte Hornets with the 56th overall pick (second round) Wednesday, Nov. 18, during the 2020 NBA Draft. Over the last four years, Riller became a staple in the lineup at the College of Charleston, and he averaged 21 points and nearly five assists per game in his final season with the Cougars. Last year, Riller became the first player in the history of Ocoee basketball to have his jersey retired by the school.
3. In Ocoee football’s 40-27 win over East Ridge in its season finale Wednesday, Nov. 18, senior wide receiver Tae’quan Johnson ended his Knights career with a bang. He finished the night with 130 receiving yards and two touchdowns. The Knights finished the season with a 4-5 record.
4. In Foundation Academy’s 2-2 draw with Forest Lake Academy Tuesday, Nov. 17, sophomore Samantha Wall picked up both goals for the Lions. Meanwhile, in goal, freshman Matilda Hidalgo recorded 16 saves, and seventh-grader Alyvia Clark had an assist.
5. Last week, the Florida Athletic Coaches Association announced the winners of its District 11 Player of the Year/Coach of the Year awards. In 2A, Foundation Academy head coach Brad Lord was named Coach of the Year, while senior linebacker/wide receiver Danny Stutsman was named 2A Player of the Year. At 3A, TFA head coach Leroy Kinard was named Coach of the Year, and TFA senior quarterback Sean Johnson Jr. was named 3A Player of the Year.