1. In Windermere Prep’s 72-48 win in boys basketball over Seffner Christian Saturday, Jan. 23, senior guard Zavien Williams scored 14 points in a game in which he also scored the 1,000th point of his successful high school career. In the win for the Lakers, Jayden Williams also added 19 points, while Drew Kousaie picked up 14 points.
2. A busy weekend saw competitive cheer teams from around the Observer coverage area take to the mat during the FHSAA state championships Friday, Jan. 22, and Saturday, Jan. 23, in Lakeland at the RP Funding Center. In Class 1A, Foundation Academy finished runner-up for the second consecutive year in the medium division (non-tumbling), while Windermere Prep finished fourth in the small division finals. In Class 2A, Ocoee finished fourth in the small division (non-tumbling), West Orange finished fourth in the large division (varsity), and Windermere finished sixth in the small division.
3. It was a big outing for the Windermere High girls soccer team in its 8-0 thrashing of Celebration Thursday, Jan. 21. The Wolverines were led by an incredible five-goal night from Victoria Gonzales, who not only helped hand Windermere the win but also picked up the 100th goal of her high school career. The win pushed the Wolverines to 6-2-2 on the season.
4. In The First Academy’s 80-57 win over St. Cloud in boys basketball action Thursday, Jan. 21, senior point guard Sean Johnson had another impressive game as he picked up 23 points in the victory. Teammates Jayden Battle and Camp Magee added 22 point and 13 points, respectively, to help push the Royals to 8-5.
5. The Dr. Phillips boys basketball team dominated on its way to an 83-67 win over Evans Thursday, Jan. 21, thanks to another big night from Denzel Aberdeen — who had 25 points in the win for the Panthers. Teammate Riley Kugel added 16 points.