The West Orange Times & Observer and Southwest Orange Observer won awards for both editorial and advertising excellence.
The West Orange Times & Observer, Southwest Orange Observer and Baldwin Park Living brought home the gold and multiple first-place honors in the Florida Press Association’s Better Weekly Newspaper Awards and the Florida Newspaper Advertising and Marketing Executives’ Creative Excellence Contest.
The awards presentations were held during the Florida Media Conference July 15 and 16 in Sarasota.
In the Better Weekly Newspaper Awards, the West Orange Times & Observer and Southwest Orange Observer received 10 first-place, six second-place and nine third-place honors — the most awards in the papers’ histories.
The first-place editorial awards include:
• Multimedia Storytelling, A Century Removed: Truth and Reconciliation of the 1920 Ocoee Massacre, Full Circle Podcast, Troy Herring
• Online Breaking News Coverage, staff
• Overall Graphic Design, Jessica Eng
• Front Page Makeup, staff
• Best Headline, Michael Eng and Troy Herring
• Portfolio Photography, Troy Herring
• Photo Series in One Issue, America Strong, Troy Herring
• Spot News Photo, Peace on the left, justice on the right, Troy Herring
• Community History, A Century Removed: Truth and Reconciliation of the 1920 Ocoee Massacre, Troy Herring
• Health, Medical and Science Reporting, Liquid Gold, Danielle Hendrix
In the Creative Excellence Contest, the Observer’s Creative Services designer Lindsay Cannizzaro garnered seven gold, six silver and two bronze awards for excellence in advertising design.
The gold awards include:
• Best Multimedia Online and Print Campaign, Broadway & Beyond
• Best Sponsored Content e-Blast, At Siam Thai Cuisine
• Best Promotional or Reader Contest, Show Us Your Strength
• Service Industry, First Baptist Church of Winter Garden
• Business to Consumer/Business to Business, Finnegan Academy of Irish Dance
• Real Estate, Kimberley R. Gernert Real Estate
• Dining and Entertainment, La Bella Luna Ristorante & Pizzeria