+ Titans shine at state swim meet
The Olympia girls swimming and diving team placed second in the state at the FHSAA Class 4A Swimming and Diving Finals Nov. 7.
Dr. Phillips’ girls placed 10th, and West Orange placed 15th.
• Olympia’s Sofia Bernard placed second in the girls 100-yard freestyle and fifth in the girls 200-yard freestyle.
• Olympia’s Makayla Robillard placed third in the girls one-meter diving competition.
• Dr. Phillips’ Emily Kliewer placed third in the girls 100-yard butterfly and fifth in the girls 200-yard IM.
• In the girls 200-yard freestyle relay, Olympia placed fourth, while Dr. Phillips placed sixth.
• In the girls 400-yard freestyle relay, Olympia placed second, and Dr. Phillips placed sixth.
• Olympia’s girls 200-yard medley relay team placed sixth.
+ Early Signing Period begins Nov. 12
Athletes across the coverage area and nation signed their names on the dotted lines of National Letters of Intent yesterday — and others will continue to do so through Nov. 19.
Wednesday, Nov. 12, was the first day of the NCAA’s Early Signing Period, meaning players who had previously verbally committed to a college for basketball and several other sports (not football) could make their commitment official by signing a National Letter of Intent.
+ Ocoee Pop Warner team ready for regionals
The Ocoee Bulldogs Junior Pee Wee football team will compete in the Pop Warner Football Southeast Regional Playoffs Nov. 15, in Jacksonville.
The Bulldogs, who defeated Apopka in the Mid-Florida Pop Warner Championships, will take on the Grand Park Trojans at 11 a.m.
Results from that game are to be posted at southeastpopwarner.com.
The two teams from Dr. Phillips Pop Warner that advanced to the Southeast Regional Playoffs, the Panthers’ Junior Midgets and Unlimited teams, will compete Nov. 22 in Bradenton.
+ Volleyball season ends
State tournaments in the eight respective classifications for varsity volleyball have entered their final four stages, but the season has officially ended for all of the varsity programs within the West Orange Times & Observer’s coverage area.
On Nov. 4, both the West Orange Warriors and Foundation Academy Lions fell in their regional semifinals. The Warriors fell to host Boone in the Class 8A Regional Semifinals, 3-1 (25-13, 25-21, 17-25, 25-15), and finished the 2014 campaign with a 22-7 record. The Lions were defeated by St. John Lutheran (Ocala), 3-1 (25-21, 17-25, 25-22, 25-19), and concluded the season with a 21-8 record.