- August 12, 2015
80 years ago
Ad of the Week from Ficquette Bros.: Steak, 15 cents a pound; beef roast, 12 cents a pound; mixed sausage, 25 cents for two pounds; hamburger, 25 cents for two pounds.
Winter Garden School children and teachers must be in the state at least two weeks before school opens. This was the decision of the local school board at a meeting called to plan precautions against the dreaded infantile paralysis epidemic.
75 years ago
Teachers named for Winter Garden Elementary School: Jessie Brock, principal; Marguerite Neel, Elizabeth Whitner, Rubie Harris, Laura Newton, Ann Tomyn, Margaret Holbrook, Mrs. Clarence Eby and Hazel Elliot.
70 years ago
C.G. Tilden, who operates one of the large truck farms in West Orange County, is reported to have shipped out 75 tons of watermelons. That is two days’ pickings.
50 years ago
Gov. Reubin Askew appointed Larry A. Grimes, of Winter Garden, to the board of trustees of the West Orange Memorial Hospital Tax District.
45 years ago
Rod Reeves, art instructor at Lakeview High School, has returned from a trip to Europe. He left in the middle of June and returned the first week of August.
The fabulous Walt Disney “Vacation Kingdom” is well past the Imagineering stage, and construction is moving along at a fast clip.
40 years ago
Former Georgia governor and Democratic presidential contender Jimmy Carter paid a visit to downtown Winter Garden and found the streets pretty deserted. He was greeted by City Commissioner and Acting Mayor Ralph Fulford and visited The Winter Garden Times office and City Hall.
35 years ago
The West Orange Memorial Hospital board of trustees approved the purchase of $30,000 worth of equipment for the ophthalmology department. The equipment will be used by Dr. Shannon Boyer, who will soon be joining the hospital staff.
Lisa Fulmer and Mary Ballant were the disc jockeys July 22 at the West Orange Youth Center. Cheri McIntire and Vicki West said they were teaching kids to play pingpong, but others say all they did was chase the ball around the hall. Mike Davis showed up in his sharp-looking cowboy hat.
25 years ago
The walls came tumbling down as demolition work began on the old Winter Garden Elementary School that had been built in 1916 and closed in 1979. The school originally taught kindergarten through sixth grade and switched to kindergarten through second when Dillard Street Elementary was built in 1951. Old bricks were available as mementos to former students.