1. For the second year in a row, the Windermere Wildfire 16U (Paulson) brought home the 2019 Florida State USA Softball Championship on Sunday, July 7. The Wildfire will follow up the win with an appearance in the Atlanta Legacy Showcase this weekend in Georgia from July 10 to 13.
2. Griffin Willman, a Boy Scout with Winter Garden-based Troop 210, is looking to raise $5,000 to build a gazebo, renovate structures, repaint the benches and install solar lighting for the Windermere Little League softball fields as a part of his Eagle Scout Project. As of Monday, July 8, Willman has raised $725 of his goal. To help contribute, go to bit.ly/2G3veC8.
3. The strength and conditioning department at Windermere Prep was recently named a National Strength & Conditioning Association Strength of America Award winner. The program — led by Micah Kurtz — was recognized for the three year period of 2019-22. The award itself “honors schools that exhibit the highest standards in the safety and success of young athletes.”
4. This past weekend the Windermere Wildfire 18U (Pollock) celebrated the Fourth of July holiday by going a perfect 5-0 to win the Stars and Stripes Independence Day tournament. The 5-0 record pushed the Wildfire to its current win streak of seven games in a row.
5. Windermere Prep’s Tiago Barni had a strong showing during the NHSGA High School National Invitational at Walt Disney World Resort, which took place June 28-29. Barni placed ninth overall to earn 2nd-Team All-Tournament honors in a stacked field of 172. Meanwhile, fellow teammate Eric Berggren (who is heading to Indiana in the fall) tied for 26th.