- September 18, 2019
1. In Dr. Phillips football’s 42-6 homecoming victory over Windermere Friday, Sept. 27, junior Jalen Moore had the highlight of the night on a 109-yard pick-six late in the game. Nivon Holland had two touchdowns of his own — one receiving, one rushing. The win pushed Dr. Phillips to 4-2 (2-0) on the season, but more impressively the victory was the Panthers’ 46th-straight win in district — a streak that spans the last 12 seasons.
2. In Dr. Phillips’ big win over West Orange in volleyball action Thursday, Sept. 26, junior outside hitter Alexis Distasio racked up 11 kills and six digs, while junior right-side setter Alicia Virthe grabbed 10 kills, two blocks and five digs. Junior outside hitter Kaley Landis would add on 13 digs.
3. The First Academy’s volleyball team saw a big night from senior middle blocker Alexis Martin in the Royals’ 3-1 win over Trinity Prep Thursday, Sept. 26. Edwards picked up 18 kills, four blocks and four digs in the win. Junior defensive specialist/libero Emily Rhodes had a whopping 41 digs, while eighth grade outside hitter Ava Pierzynski had 32 digs and senior libero/outside hitter Elli McKissock had 17 kills and 26 digs.
4. In The First Academy’s 140-150 win over Windermere Prep in girls golf Thursday, Sept. 26, at Disney’s Magnolia Course, the Royals saw all four players shoot one under par in the match. Sisters Taylor and Ava Zeng, Bridget Ma and Annie Zhang all shot a matching 35 to lead the Royals to their 23rd win of the season (23-2). Meanwhile, for the Lakers, Yoko Tai shot two-under-par to record a 34 for Windermere Prep (7-4)
5. The Olympia Titans snuck by West Orange and Timber Creek in their bowling tri-match Wednesday, Sept. 25. The Titans finished with 2,282 points to the Warriors’ 2,276 and the Wolves’ 2,171. In the win, the Titans were led by Ryan Rutkiewicz, who bowled a game-high 241.